2008 Aug 28;27(37):5033-44. doi: 10.1038/onc.2008.145. Epub 2008 May 5.
JunD is involved in the antiproliferative effect of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol on human breast cancer cells.
It has been recently shown that cannabinoids, the active components of marijuana and their derivatives, inhibit cell cycle progression of human breast cancer cells. Here we studied the mechanism of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) antiproliferative action in these cells, and show that it involves the modulation of JunD, a member of the AP-1 transcription factor family. THC activates JunD both by upregulating gene expression and by translocating the protein to the nuclear compartment, and these events are accompanied by a decrease in cell proliferation. Of interest, neither JunD activation nor proliferation inhibition was observed in human non-tumour mammary epithelial cells exposed to THC. We confirmed the importance of JunD in THC action by RNA interference and genetic ablation. Thus, in both JunD-silenced human breast cancer cells and JunD knockout mice-derived immortalized fibroblasts, the antiproliferative effect exerted by THC was significantly diminished. Gene array and siRNA experiments support that the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27 and the tumour suppressor gene testin are candidate JunD targets in cannabinoid action. In addition, our data suggest that the stress-regulated protein p8 participates in THC antiproliferative action in a JunD-independent manner. In summary, this is the first report showing not only that cannabinoids regulate JunD but, more generally, that JunD activation reduces the proliferation of cancer cells, which points to a new target to inhibit breast cancer progression.
- [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Active Transport, Cell Nucleus/drug effects
- Antineoplastic Agents/pharmacology
- Breast Neoplasms/genetics
- Breast Neoplasms/metabolism
- Breast Neoplasms/pathology*
- Cell Nucleus/drug effects
- Cell Nucleus/metabolism
- Cell Proliferation/drug effects*
- Cell Survival/drug effects
- Disease Progression
- Gene Expression Profiling
- Gene Expression Regulation, Neoplastic/drug effects
- Mice, Knockout
- Oligonucleotide Array Sequence Analysis
- Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-jun/genetics
- Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-jun/metabolism
- Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-jun/physiology*
- Tumor Cells, Cultured
- Up-Regulation/drug effects